Cohort #4 of the Build Your Product program, formerly known as “Consultant to CEO” finishes in one week.
The next cohort starts on January 8, 2020 just after the holidays.
In the post below, we’ll profile the entrepreneur, their experience, some questions about building their product (including a live coaching call excerpt) and a brief teardown of the new product.
Say hello to Ahmad Kanani.
Ahmad is a web analytics specialist with a background in conversion optimization and digital marketing strategy. He lives in Budapest, Hungary and loves to drink coffee, watch TV series and spend quality time with his wife and dog.
I first connected with Ahmad when he joined a free coaching call in August 2019.
Ahmad was concerned…
During the call, Ahmad asked a thoughtful question:
“Are you afraid of the power an ecosystem and a platform can have over your business… If I’m going to focus on Shopify and provide some kind of analytics service and dashboard, then Shopify starts to offer it built-in, then my whole business is going to be irrelevant. This is something I fear…”
Since the call, there have been a few examples of large platforms both competing with and accelerating support for much smaller businesses.
Google released a WordPress plugin called Google Sitekit, which could take a big chunk of market share from Syed Balkhi’s MonsterInsights (2M+ active installs) and MonsterInsights Pro. Or, maybe it won’t because Syed and team have been building their product for years. It depends.
In contrast, Salesforce announced a $50 MM fund for Consulting and Agency partners. I’ve said it a number of times, but if you want a surefire $10MM+ productized service business, create a WP Curve for Salesforce. It’s a winning proposition and if you’re the right entrepreneur, we’ll invest to help you scale your company.
So, the door can swing both ways.
There are so many factors that are out of your control, but this is no excuse for sitting on the fence and doing nothing.
You’ll also get a sore butt.
What happened after the call?
Ahmad applied to the program.
He was immediately accepted.
Ahmad didn’t wait until the official start date to get started on the work. The program videos and workbook are free, so Ahmad dove in headfirst and got started after the free group coaching call in August. By the time the cohort kicked off in September, Ahmad had already completed his workbook.
Because of his pre-work, Ahmad was able to spend a lot more time refining the product, revising his assumptions and researching marketing channels.
Here are some other elements we like about Ahmad’s new product:
- Ahmad chose a big platform with a great growth rate. Google Analytics has a huge audience and is the standard in web analytics. Like WordPress, this platform has a built-in Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) that you can draft off.
- Ahmad found a frustrating problem. Who wants to spend their Sunday afternoon figuring out how to filter out spam and fake traffic across multiple IPs? Please, take my money so I don’t have to learn Google Analytics 101 on YouTube.
- Ahmad created a narrow and specific offer. He didn’t offer ‘analytics consulting’ or ‘done for you analytics’. Ahmad got specific, which can be difficult for consultants who typically become all things to all people.
- Ahmad didn’t fall in love with his existing audience. In fact, he moved downmarket to try selling to business owners, rather than his existing agency customers. We’ll see how this plays out.
- Ahmad built a great site. Ahmad has the fastest-loading and most well-designed site of the products we’ve launched through the program so far. You can click the image below to take a look around:
It hasn’t all been smooth sailing and shiny websites, though.
Ahmad went through multiple iterations to find this product offering.
He will keep improving his product as he moves towards product-market fit. He’s yet to dial-in marketing and sales, but with his work ethic and diligence, we’re quietly confident he’ll figure it out.
Ahmad’s disciplined approach is exemplified in the chat excerpt below:
If you’re interested in building a product that will scale well beyond consulting, an agency, project work or trading your time for money, join the next free group call here.
The next cohort launches on January 8, 2020.